Emily's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Dec 31, 11

bookshelves: i-own, favorites
Read from December 17 to 22, 2011

Like.... Beautiful... It was so amazing. I can't even begin to describe it... Or even make a review for it!!!! I got to say, Jay Asher did an AMAZING!!! job on this book. It was so.... like.... I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next! Devastating too, making you feel sorry and even just feel sad, for what they go through since other people go through it. It was sickening too, when you realize that some of this stuff happens. Also your left like I hope he's not going to do what I think he's going to. It's all right, and people can relate to this. If its not in one way, it in another. I think this book will actually open the eyes of people. It will make them realize, that what they do can affect people more then they will ever know. And that the reasons why someone took there life will probably not be undiscovered, because they die with there secrets. Unless they make the tapes or anything like Hannah did. But rarely people do. It's just left to be unsolved... Just that they committed suicide. So you would never know that was it something I did that made that person decide to take there life? The guilt you would have.
There is so much more to describe this book, but thats pretty much what I think is the really important aspects of the book.

Quotes Emily Liked

Jay Asher
“You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything. . . affects everything.”

Jay Asher
“No one knows for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people. Oftentimes, we have no clue. Yet we push it just the same.”

Jay Asher
“You can't stop the future
You can't rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
...is to press play.”

Jay Asher
“But you can't get away from yourself. You can't decide not to see yourself anymore. You can't decide to turn off the noise in your head.”

Jay Asher
“A lot of you cared, just not enough.”

Jay Asher
“Sometimes we have thoughts that even we don't understand. Thoughts that aren't even true—that aren't really how we feel—but they're running through our heads anyway because they're interesting to think about.”

Jay Asher
“If my love were an ocean,
there would be no more land.
If my love were a desert,
you would see only sand.
If my love were a star-
late at night, only light.
And if my love could grow wings,
I'd be soaring in flight.”

Jay Asher
“ If you hear a song that makes you cry and you don't want to cry anymore, you don't listen to that song anymore.

Jay Asher
“You can't go back to how things were. How you thought they were. All you really have is...now.”

Jay Asher
“Like driving along a bumpy road and losing control of the steering wheel, tossing you—just a tad—off the road. The wheels kick up some dirt, but you're able to pull it back. Yet no matter how hard you try to drive straight, something keeps jerking you to the side. You have so little control over anything anymore. And at some point, the struggle becomes too much—too tiring—and you consider letting go. Allowing tragedy... or whatever... to happen.”

Jay Asher
“I hope you're ready, because I'm about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you're listening to these tapes, you're one of the reasons why.”

Jay Asher
“I wanted people to trust me, despite anything they'd heard. And more than that, I wanted them to know me. Not the stuff they thought they knew about me. No, the real me. I wanted them to get past the rumors. To see beyond the relationships I once had, or maybe still had but that they didn't agree with.”

Jay Asher
“When you try rescuing someone and discover they can't be reached, why would you ever throw that back in their face?”

“Soul Alone by Hannah Baker

there

Put me
underneath God's sky and
know me
don't just see me with your eyes
Take away
this mask of flesh and bone and
See me