Afton Nelson's Reviews > The Winter Sea

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: adult
Read in July, 2011

Loved the way the author chose to tell this story, with alternating chapters in the present day and 1708 Scotland. I love Scotland as the setting and the passion the main character--who happens to be an author--had to tell this story. Loved the parallel story lines that took place and while some felt a little forced, others similarities were like hidden gems you had to search for. Loved Jane's reaction to Carrie finishing the story where she originally did, before she traveled to Kirkcudbright, because that was my reaction too and it calmed me down knowing our main character had someone to take her to task for the way things seemed to end. And I loved, loved, loved that my suspicions were correct in the way things would really end. Because if they hadn't, I would have had to throw this book quite hard against the wall. So satisfying a read, this will be a story I won't soon forget.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter Sea.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Beth This was one of my favorite reads so far this year. I need to try reading more of her stuff. It looks like theyactually have afew of her books in the library now, wich was not the case just a few months ago.

Afton Nelson Beth wrote: "This was one of my favorite reads so far this year. I need to try reading more of her stuff. It looks like theyactually have afew of her books in the library now, wich was not the case just a few..."

It made me want to move to Scotland and write a book! I can't wait to read some of her other stuff.

Sewingdervish I loved it. I loved all of it. I liked the parallel stories. I was in love with all 4 of the main male characters. The only thing that I didn't like was leaving the daughter behind. I don't buy it.