Kitty's Reviews > The Vampire Tapestry

The Vampire Tapestry by Suzy McKee Charnas

Jul 27, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: bad-life-choices-got-me-here, vampires

Ugh. Got to the part where the main character starts to blame the victim for being raped on campus by saying "no real woman" would let that happen to her and got so disgusted I couldn't finish. This followed by her saying another character was all but a bleeding hippy for wanting to save the ozone layer and then she slips into some weird fantasy right after where she's remembering hunting endangered big cats in Africa during her youth. I think I'll take my vampire novels without Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS thank you very much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vampire Tapestry.

02/25/2016 marked as: read

Paul McCain Katje's a product of her white South African upbringing. She doesn't reoccur in later chapters. She wasn't serving as the author's conservative soapbox, as you lead yourself to believe.

Kitty Paul wrote: "Katje's a product of her white South African upbringing. She doesn't reoccur in later chapters. She wasn't serving as the author's conservative soapbox, as you lead yourself to believe."

And the completely nonsensical way she just HAPPENS to guess he's a vampire and be right about it? Is that also a product of her conservative heritage? Thank you but I still don't think I'll take what you're selling. I've only listed a few of my complaints above, but trust me when I say I have many more. Good try at defense though!

Claudia Putnam She wasn't the main character for one thing.

Kitty Claudia wrote: "She wasn't the main character for one thing."
I've already talked about this in my comment above. I have more beefs with this book than just those listed in my review. I don't like the book. I wouldn't have liked it even if it didnt have victim shaming, but even if that we're my only issue with the book THAT'S STILL A PRETTY BIG ISSUE! And I say this as someone who is a survivor of sexual violence. So, as stated above, thanks but no thanks.