Shannon's Reviews > The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories

The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: classic, short-stories
Read in July, 2011

After thoroughly enjoying both The Old Man and the Sea and The Paris Wife, I made a trip to my favorite used bookstore, hoping to find another Hemingway book worth reading. Sadly, the shelf was nearly bare with summer reading list students having been one step ahead of me. I decided to give this collection of short stories a try, even though the short story is not my favorite.

I did find this collection interesting, if a bit depressing. Sad themes that appear in his novels are present in these short stories as well, but repeated over and over in quick succession. What I enjoyed was seeing Hemingway use characters from his life (Bumby) and his other novels (Nick Adams) in these stories. It felt like he was both capturing a moment worth savoring and working out exactly what characters would and wouldn't do.

While this bit of insight into Hemingway's technique was worth it for me, you might want to just read my favorite story from this collection: In Another Country.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories.