Kirk's Reviews > The Happy Hooker: My Own Story

Mar 30, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: guilty-pleasures
Read in January, 1974

All I remember is the scene in which she gives the German shepherd a tugjob. Arf arf!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happy Hooker.

Nancy I believe the German shepherd's exact words were "arooooooooo!".

Kirk I remember the scene being very traumatizing. For years afterward I was convinced that every dog whose belly I scratched was expecting more.

Kirk I call it "taking out the lipstick." Their erections seriously look like something Maybelline would sell.

Nancy You just never know what they're thinking when they give you that dark soulful gaze and their tongue is lolling out the side of their mouth. Such manipulative little animals they are.

Hmm...I'll never look at a tube of lipstick the same way again.

Kirk I think this thread is causing a run on the market. My Revlon stock is falling precipitously as we speak...

message 6: by Adam (last edited Apr 07, 2008 02:18PM) (new)

Adam Ever since I read Donald Goines's Dopefiend last month, I get really, really uneasy around German shepherds. Now I'm even more afraid of them. Thanks, Kirk.

Kirk Uh-oh---what happens in Dopefiend, Adam? Or do I want to know?

Nancy Tell me there wasn't a lipstick involved.

Kirk I'm so sorry, Nancy---I've scarred you with that remark!

Nancy Yes you have, Kirk. That's why I now get my smooth and slick lip gloss from a pot. ;)

message 11: by Kirk (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kirk Will you forgive me if I tell you it's much healthier for you that way?

message 12: by Adam (new)

Adam Well, Kirk, I'm not sure if you want to know or not, but since you asked, there's a morbidly obese drug dealer named "Porky" in Dopefiend who has women put on sex shows with his German shepherds when they want heroin and they don't have any money. Later in the book, Porky's woman Smokey starts noticing how "freaky" the dogs are starting to get for the ladies in general and she thinks that she might have to put them down.

message 13: by Kirk (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kirk Yowza---but I gotta love a book with characters named Porky and Smokey. One more for the to-read list. I'm trying to get through Bloch's Shooting Star right now, but it's not captivating me.

message 14: by Addled (new)

Addled "there's a morbidly obese drug dealer named "Porky" in Dopefiend who has women put on sex shows with his German shepherds when they want heroin and they don't have any money."

Holy crap... when I read this I kept thinking to myself "Why do the German Shepherds want heroin and of course they won't have any money... they're dogs"