Ali's Reviews > The Fatal Touch

Jul 27, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, mystery
Read in July, 2011

3.5 stars, rounded up.

As most of my friends know, I'm a sucker for novels about the art world, and even more so for art-related mysteries. I also love mysteries set in foreign countries, so this book pretty much earned at least three stars just by existing.

I thought the writing was pretty tight -- things were buried throughout the book, but not so obviously that I had the ending figured out too early. Plus, the book wasn't even as much about the mystery as it was about the whole arc of the story; some important details didn't even come out until the last bits of the book, so it wasn't one of those books you can figure out from the first few chapters.

Now for the bad: there were unnecessary action-y sequences near the book's climax, which lead me to believe that it was ultimately written to be turned into a movie. Also, while I liked the fact that the book seemed to focus on Caterina as a strong, intelligent female character, by the end I started to suspect that she's really there just as a love interest for Blume -- I haven't read the first book in the series yet, but I'd bet that's the role that Kristin served in it.

On writing and plot alone I really enjoyed the book, but there were enough small problems to keep it from getting the full four stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fatal Touch.