Simon Logan's Reviews > The Dark Fields

The Dark Fields by Alan Glynn

Aug 04, 11

Recommended to Simon by: John Schoenfelder
Read from July 27 to August 04, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** Recommended to me a while back I wanted to read this before seeing the movie version and it turned out to be a very interesting and well thought-out thriller.

It had slight echoes of American Psycho in places, mainly due to the setting and the obsessive detailing of information (which was a proper reflection of the main character's experience on MDT and didn't bore as Ellis' prose often did). Glynn took me on an interesting journey as the protagonist copes with taking the drug and then the threat of no longer having it.

It gets more interesting at the end and perhaps I would have like to have seen the initial part of the book sped up to spend more time with the fall-out from the MDT. I did, however, really appreciate the fact that certain aspects were merely hinted at (such as the implication that the Defence Secretary who provokes a war with Mexico could have been on the drug) as well as the fact that the central "romance" was only played with and hinted at.

Overall a very enjoyable read. Be interesting to see the movie now ...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Fields.

08/02/2011 page 222
65.0% "Enjoying it so far. Think it's about to start getting even more interesting ..."