oliviasbooks's Reviews > Bad Taste in Boys

Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris

Aug 24, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult-fiction, urban-fantasy-paranormal, horror, e-version, high-expectations, high-entertainment-factor, read-2011, ya-contemporary, laugh-a-little, zombies-monsters, love-story-romance, debut
Recommended to oliviasbooks by: Nic, Melanie
Read from August 22 to 24, 2011 , read count: 1

"That puke was the most wonderful thing I'd ever seen. It was green and a little red. Technicolor, really, the color puke is supposed to be. It definitely wasn't black, and it didn't smell like toasty poop. This was a good sign."

I breezed through this book in one day. And let me tell you: I had an awfully good time, although I was very relieved that my commuter train compartment did not emanate the penetrating stink of stale sweat, geasy hair, beer and hamburgers gone bad like it usually does at rush hour in late August. I might have not been able to reign in my activated imagination otherwise and would have stared down the nose-offending passengers with a zombie-alert x-ray-expression disorting my face.

"Bad Taste in Boys" combines a wacky, deliciously hilarious story about "the world's worst football team" getting infected with a vampire virus instead of getting enhanced muscle-power thanks to being injected with the untested "Playwell" fluid and the female, geeky student coach assistent who saves the small town from being digested by them with a cute, wobbly-footed romance reminiscent of earlier Cabot books. A definite plus is the relationship between heroine Kate and her fifteen-year-old brother Jonah, a scifi-nerd who has recently joined the cheerleading team in order to impress a girl:

"Jonah squealed, jumping up and down and shaking his pom-poms. His skirt swished around his scrawny yellow knees. 'Jonah, can I give you a piece of sisterly advice?' 'Yeah' 'If you ever want to lose your virginity, don't do that again. Ever.' He dropped the pom-poms. It wasn't much of an improvement."

The best, however, is all that fun-dipped, unaffected goryness and the way aspiring future doctor Kate relates her experiences with gnawed-on ankles, ripped-off feet and black-putrid goo drizzling on the homecoming pancake grill. It felt like a trip down memory lane back to those times when a friend and I tried to outdo each other with nauseating stories from the make-belief "sanatorium" we both were stuck as the patients "Rrroberto and Alberrtina". (If you are shocked don't ask what other games I used to invent).

Since I had started with a quote, I will close with one as well:

"'Excuse me if I feel skeptical,' I said. 'Coach's foot fell off. How exactly do you propose to cure that? Superglue?'"
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Taste in Boys.

Quotes oliviasbooks Liked

Carrie Harris
“Jonah squealed, jumping up and down and shaking his pom-poms. His skirt swished around his scrawny yellow knees.
“Jonah, can I give you a piece of sisterly advice?”
“Yeah.”
“If you ever want to lose your virginity, don’t do that again. Ever.”
tags: humor

Carrie Harris
“Excuse me if I feel skeptical,' I said. 'Coach's foot fell off. How exactly do you propose to cure that? Superglue?”

Carrie Harris
“That puke was the most wonderful thing I'd ever seen. It was green and a little red. Technicolor, really, the color puke is supposed to be. It definitely wasn't black, and it didn't smell like toasty poop. This was a good sign.”

08/22/2011
1.0% "Ready when you are, Teccc ..."
08/23/2011
1.0% "Starting after supper."
08/23/2011
8.0% "The worst football team in the world. haha."
08/23/2011
38.0% "It's really funny, but also pretty ... yucky. Putrid smells, black, gooey vomit, fingers that just come off, lips with chunks missing ..." 4 comments

Miss Bookiverse is it any good? I just really love the cover art.

oliviasbooks I'll start tonight. But Nic said it was hilarious.

Miss Bookiverse Okay, looking forward to your thoughs then :)

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic It is a quick read and fun read Olivia. Nothing to take serious but rather sit back and enjoy the ride. I hope you like it :)

message 5: by Flannery (new)

Flannery So are you going to move on to Flat-Out now?

This book sounds pretty funny. I'll need to make it a priority soon.

message 6: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic YAY! So glad you enjoyed this Olivia!

~Tina~ That first quote? Wow, I'm not sure what to think of that lol
This does look funny though so I'm gonna give it a try:) Great review!