Colleen (NerdyWoman) Kayter's Reviews > Too Wicked to Wed

Too Wicked to Wed by Cheryl Holt

Mar 31, 2008

bookshelves: erotic-romance, historical, cheryl-holt
Read in March, 2008

** spoiler alert ** My ratings for this trilogy of 'related' stories by Cheryl Holt seem to be all over the map. As for the relationship between Too Hot to Handle and the other two (Too Tempting to Touch and Too Wicked to Wed), I'm at a loss. There are no secondary characters in common, no connection other than the time period of the 3 books (1813, 1812, and 1814, respectively).

I did enjoy this book. The villains were much more villainous than Too Tempting to Touch, but the pacing seemed to lag in places. The hero, William Lucas "Luke" Westmoreland seemed to have led two lives. In Too Tempting, he was the faithful friend and first mate to James Drake. There was no mention of Drake in Too Wicked and Westmoreland's back story indicated that he'd been the boss for years. Of course, he may have just been part of the charade in Too Tempting but in that story it seemed he had nothing better to do than help Drake run a con.

The premise was interesting. Although it's difficult to imagine how siblings could grow up in the same household and have one become a responsible, moral adult and the other so completely without a moral fiber in his being. He gambles away the family home; he gambles his sister's virtue to try to regain the property; he plots the incestuous rape of that sister when he determines that she betrayed him... Nice guy, huh?

Worth reading? Yeah, it is.

If you love regencies, take whatever I say with a grain of salt. I'm much more inclined to pick up an American West historical and even more likely to grab a contemporary (suspense, paranormal, erotic, or Texas rancher...).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Too Wicked to Wed.