Selena's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Aug 13, 2009

bookshelves: embraceinnerchild
Recommended to Selena by: Kristen Brown Jaquish

Reading Harry Potter takes me all the way back to elementary school. I was in an advanced reader class in the fifth grade and our treat for being a good group from our teacher, Mrs. Jaquish, was having her read us the first Harry Potter book. At one chapter a day (sometimes more if we behaved well), our entire class fell in love with Hogwarts and the characters within the Harry Potter novels.

She died in March this year, ten days before her birthday, due to cancer that had metastasized to her brain. Needless to say, it was tough re-reading the book. As I read, I was reminded of the reading corner that we sat in, the stool that the student reader of the day would sit on and the Washington State University memorabilia plastered all over the walls. I remembered how supportive she was of our group and how much she brightened up even the worst of days. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her in a bad mood, letting circumstances bring her down. It makes sense that she read Harry Potter to us: he never gave up either – even at the worst of times.

J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone will always remind me of being in the fifth grade at Cascade View Elementary School and of immersing myself in the perfect make-believe world. It will remind me of talking out of turn (and getting in trouble) while working with my classroom to charm the teacher into reading just one more chapter.

I will always remember being completely amazed at just how good the story was and how much Mrs. Jaquish’s storytelling added to it. I don’t think it will ever sound the same in my head as it did when she read it with special voices for each character or her suspenseful reading of each chapter’s title. This book marks the start of my favorite series of books.

If you’re the last person in the world not to have read this book, open its pages. Kristen Jaquish never recommended a book to me that I didn’t fiercly love. And if Harry Potter has her recommendation, it is the highest praise a book could have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.