Eric's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Mira Grant

Aug 09, 11

bookshelves: audio, scifi
Read from July 26 to August 09, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Ahh... where to start. I had some issues with character interaction and behavior throughout the first two thirds of the book. Actions seemed a bit over the top and at times almost random. Top this off with a lot of confusion over the motivations behind the CDC. It almost seemed like the data they acquired was backwards from how everyone was acting.

If people with reservoir conditions were dying MORE frequently, how does this resolve with them actually having a chance to recover from K/A? Then Wynne went off on his "save the world the way WE want to" bit, and that didn't sit too well either. I get the CDC's behind it and all, but the exact what and why and how didn't seem to fit.

But, okay, I accept there's probably a lot more to it than the boss villain of this particular level will unveil in his monologue. Plus, if I was tailoring new strains of KA and releasing them in the wild hoping they DON'T create new reservoir conditions, well, I'd want to hide that, too.

So, then the last few chapters. Didn't see that coming. And then Grant had to throw in THAT ending. And I've got to wait 9 months for the next book? Dammit.

If the snark level hadn't been so high, and the character interactions hadn't been too over the top and random, this would be five stars. But it's certainly a solid four, and probably a better book overall than Feed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.

08/02/2011
12.0% "Much snarkier than Feed. Not sure I like Shaun as the MC over Georgia."
08/04/2011
36.0% "Mira Grant does very bad things to Shaun. The events at the end of chapter 9 are staggering. I got over the snark and the conspiracy just keeps getting better."
show 1 hidden update…