Greg's Reviews > Consider Phlebas

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks

Apr 08, 08

bookshelves: sf-fantasy-and-other-dorky-shit
Read in April, 2008

This review is totally phoned in.

This is the second of his books that I've read in the past week or so. The other one I didn't write about but it was called The Game Player, and it was better than this one. It was kind of like Herman Hesse's Glass Bead Game, but kind of cooler with mutilations and stuff like that. Like HH's book though neither author ever really got down to describing what such a complex game would really be like, which I would be interested to know about, but oh well.
This book wasn't quite as good, it's part of the same series, a series I now realize is mostly out of print. It's more of a traditional space opera I guess, I don't read much Sci-Fi, so I'm just throwing out terms here. I liked the book when there wasn't action going on, the general ideas of the book and the relationships between the utopian Culture and other societies I liked, and the idea of the Culture I find quite interesting, and the end notes giving the back story to the war going on in the book I found on the fascinating side. What I could stand though were drawn out fighting scenes and battles, I know these are the parts I'm supposed to find exciting, but I just couldn't get into those scenes, and I found myself either reading at an abnormally fast rate (as if I was in the thick of it all), or just zoning out and realizing I was reading with no retention. Fortunately there were only a few of these moments in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consider Phlebas.