Sarah Oyerinde's Reviews > A Girl of the Limberlost

A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter

Jul 26, 11

Elnora Comstock is the protagonist of this story. She’s a girl that doesn’t get easily offended and always gives an honest and knowledgeable answer or response, and tells a true story. She sees the value and the worth in every human being, and inspires others around her to do the same. She’s a hard worker, and she’s focused. She’s quite a winsome heroine – one that inspires me and one that I wouldn’t mind my daughters reading about. The book is a deserving feminine epic.

Besides the great heroine, another perk to this book is that it was written by a naturalist, and so it contains all kinds of interesting natural knowledge. There are names of different kinds of moths, birds, and other wildlife and even flora, and descriptions of different processes that moths and other natural specimens go through. Thus, the book is also very educational and a good catalyst for research.

One thing that I would be careful about is the theology of some of the characters in the book. Especially Katherine Comstock’s (Elnora’s mother’s) theology. There is one incident in the book in which she is awed by nature and seems to find God’s salvation for her soul in nature. Although I understand seeing parallels to God’s salvation in nature, or can understand somewhat how beautiful God is through nature, I understand salvation comes only through Jesus Christ. In this book, the reader cannot discern Mrs. Comstock’s belief about salvation and so it seems that she finds salvation through nature. She also seems to have problems with forgiveness, especially in relationship to her dead husband. Thus, I would recommend that one read this book carefully in the light of God’s word. And, if allowing your children to read it, read it with or before them, so that you can have discussions about the book with them concerning the more questionable parts of the book.

In spite of questionable theology, there is at least some encouragement to seek after God in the book – it’s definitely not an atheistic book. Also, there is support for creationism in the book.

A very good book. Read it if you’ve never before: especially if you’re an Indiana native.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl of the Limberlost.