♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Jan 02, 12

Read from January 01 to 02, 2012 — I own a copy

I've been dying to get my hands on this book from the moment I read the blurb on it. It does not disappoint. This is such a sweet and heartbreaking story at the same time. The story is sweet, in the scenes with Oliver, and heartbreaking in the ones with Hadley's dad and family drama.

Hadley is flying from Connecticut to London to attend her father's wedding. She ends up missing her flight by four minutes and is bumped to the next one. This makes things very tight, because now she'll be landing at 10am and the wedding is at 12pm. Hadley didn't want to fly in at all. This wedding is the last place she wants to be because she's still angry with her father for leaving her and her mother, two years earlier. She hasn't even seen her father for a year, and has refused to fly out and meet his fiancé before this. The only reason she is going is because her mother has forced her. While Hadley is waiting for the next flight, Oliver, a guy sitting by her gallantly helps her with her luggage while she's dropping everything, everywhere. She finds out he's on the same flight and they end up eating in the airport together, sparking up a connection. Hadley thinks that once they get on the plane they'll be sitting apart and this will be the last she talks to Oliver. But they end up sitting right next to each other, on the plane, and talk the whole time, (minus a few naps waking up on one or the other's shoulder!) forming a mutual attraction. They have a few moments like this one that makes your heart speed up:

The OCCUPIED lights are on above both bathroom doors, so Hadley and Oliver stand in the small square of space just outside. They're close enough that she can smell the fabric of his shirt, the whiskey still on his breath; not so close that they're touching exactly, but she can feel the hair on his arm tickle hers, and she's again seized by a sudden longing to reach for his hand. She lifts her chin to find that he's looking down at her with the same expression she saw on his face earlier, when she woke up with her head on his shoulder…..It occurs to her that-impossibly, improbably-he might be about to kiss her, and she inches just the tiniest bit closer, her heart skidding around in her chest. His hand brushes against hers, and Hadley feels it like a bolt of electricity, the shock of it moving straight up her spine. To her surprise, Oliver doesn't pull away; instead, he fits his hand into hers as if anchoring her there, then tugs gently, moving her closer.

I'll leave it right there, you can read the book if you want to know what happens next! This scene is before they get off the plane and then the real action starts! I won't tell you anymore but trust, there are some very swoon-worthy moments! I love the idea of meeting someone and instantly feeling a connection, being drawn to a person and talking the night away.

The parts with Hadley and her family were very heartbreaking and while her feelings change toward her father, I couldn't help but stay mad at him. What a selfish man! I didn't see anything in this story that justified his actions, and my heart ached for Hadley and her mother.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It's a quick easy read. I started it at eleven and didn't end up going to sleep until I finished, I couldn't put it down! A definite recommend.

34 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

message 1: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Snyder This book sounds really good!!!!

♥Rachel♥ I hope it is, we'll see. :)

message 3: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Snyder I'll be checking to see what you think before I order it.

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Sam. I hope you get yours soon, this was cute. :)

Wendy Darling Aww. :)

message 6: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I really like your review..makes me want to read it even more. :o)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Jennifer! I hope you like is as much as I did. :)

Anna Great review! I am so looking forward to this one! :) Glad you love it. :)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Anna! I definitely think this is an Anna book.

I have one to recommend to you, I'm just finishing my review, but I think you'll like it. Another friend, Bethany, recommended it to me and she has really similar tastes to us. :)

message 10: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna GREAT!! You really knew me too well! :) I am looking forward to it as well! :)

Eunice Nice review Rachel! I've been dying to read this one! And that quote you had there, "The OCCUPIED lights are on above both bathroom doors, so Hadley and Oliver stand in the small square of space just outside...", had me swooning already. Hahaha! :DD

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Eunice, I did love this. It had some great swoony bits! :)

Limonessa Agreed on the swoony bits! But that cheater... grrrr...

Arlene Agreed about the father. Booooo to him!! Awesome review Rachel. :)

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Arlene. Are you finished with this one yet? I'll look out for your review. But yes the father infuriated me. There was no excuse for ripping everyone's heart out. He got off way too easy. :(

Arlene I finished it last night, but couldn't post my review because GR was acting weird, so I gave up. I liked it, but the parents in this book ruined it a bit for me. I really liked Hadley and Oliver though.

message 17: by Alexa (last edited Jan 12, 2012 04:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alexa Really great review! I heard there were some heartbreaking moments, but I didn't realize just how much. I'm glad there were a whole lot more sweet moments tho. :) Hadley & Oliver are just so cute together.

(Oh and I can't say I forgave Hadley's father either. And even his fiance, no matter how nice she was. She must have known he was married, right?! :\ Gah... I can understand why Hadley was angry.)

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Alexa. Yeah, the fiance must have known. Shame on her. Hadley shouldn't have forgave his so easily. I know I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue the way she did.

message 19: by Marianne (new) - added it

Marianne What a great review! You made me wanna go to the bookstore right now and wait for it to open all night (it is currently 10 pm over here), just so that I could get my hands on that book. And that quote... Gosh, swoon-worthy is an understatement! Do you have any other good recommendations for sweet, swoon-worthy books like this? :-)

message 20: by ♥Rachel♥ (last edited Feb 06, 2012 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Marianne! Yes, I thought it was very swoon-worthy! You may want to check out some more reviews on this one. My friends were split down the middle on their opinion of this one. Obviously, I enjoyed it though! :)

Aimen *Vampire Bookworm* Great review! I want to read this so badly now!!!

♥Rachel♥ Aimen wrote: "Great review! I want to read this so badly now!!!"

Thanks! I hope you like it Aimen. Some people had some issues with this story because the parents, especially the dad (ugh!) we horrible, but I liked the relationship between Oliver & Hadley enough that I didn't mind that. :)

Aimen *Vampire Bookworm* Yeah, I've read a lot of books like that! Though most of the time, the romance is enough to win me over ;)

Shiva kumar hi rachel thank you for your review , for me its like reading book.

♥Rachel♥ Shiva wrote: "hi rachel thank you for your review , for me its like reading book."

Wonderful, Shiva! I can't wait to see what you think of it. :)

Shiva kumar am seeing movie when you describe scenes . you can write a movie screenplay !