Laura's Reviews > No Country for Old Men

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

Mar 31, 2008

bookshelves: fiction
Read in March, 2008

This was the first novel I read by Cormac McCarthy and honestly I don't know why I never read any of them before. I chose in high school not to read All the Pretty Horses because it sounded like a bad job to me-- coming-of-age story, kids running away from home, horses and desert and big themes about America and other shit like that. I felt like there was too much of that stuff floating around already, so I read something else instead. The point is that I don't remember whatever that something else was.
I hope when I get older that I won't be sitting back somewhere wondering What Has Happened to the World These Days? But I know I'll be that way sometime. This book is that. I know Cormac McCarthy is an old man, and I don't know if he feels this way or not, especially because this book seems to be about the generations he is not part of, unless the Veitnam generation is suddenly 70 and I hadn't noticed yet. At any rate, I need to reread this book when I'm older and disillusioned. This could be the Catcher in the Rye for people over the age of fifty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Country for Old Men.