Lillian Collier's Reviews > Epileptic

F_50x66
Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel-memoir
Read in July, 2011

This is a beautiful and disturbing book- the kind whose imagery from both pictures and words seeps into your dreams. But it also speaks to the brutal unfairness that so often occurs in life. This is an autobiography by David B. and also the memoir, the epic battle, his brother couldn't write. In addition it details so much French and European history I was unaware of, describes many 'un-conventional' religions and healing techniques which came in and out of vogue in the last century. This memoir creates a heart-wrenching and whole picture of family love in the context of a definite time, place, and incapacitating disease. The text left me amazed that it had been translated from French, yet still maintained the humor, double entendre, and dialogue which sounds true to a young American boy. Beautiful language and strong quotes are weaved within, as well. The drawings transcend from realistic to symbolic to creepy and always with his signature style. I do recommend. This book will stay with me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Epileptic.