Michael's Reviews > The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Mar 17, 10

bookshelves: childrens-books, 1950s

I am oh-so-very biased towards this book. I was fascinated by the BBC movie when I was just a tiny fellow, and at the time I read the book, it was the longest, least-picturey book I'd ever attempted!

Then I got older and reread it, recognizing various faults and being distracted by the Christian undertones. I realized Peter's sudden wolf-killing skill with the sword is a bit unrealistic, and recognized the rest of the series was non-memorable and I couldn't find the interest to keep going after Prince Caspian.

And now, I'm sure the book would feel weak. False. Blandly reassuring, flat, black and white, overly simplistic even for a young audience. Is it religious propaganda? I think so. It's not like anyone in Lewis's audience is going to NOT get the parallels.

But I must give this book five stars, despite the fact that I would probably give it two if I read it for the first time now. Because I wanted a Narnia, and I wanted an Aslan, and Santa Clause for that matter. When I was young and walked the creek with Dave, going as far as we could into uncharted territory, hoping to find something secret, something special, something magical. I suppose this (along with the Greek myths) helped light a fire for fantasy in me, and that's a fire I nourish still.

Besides, after reading all seven books in this series, I was so, so proud of myself. I knew I could read anything. I had graduated from picture books. I. Was. A BIG BOY.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.