Stuart's Reviews > The Mole People: Life in the Tunnels Beneath New York City

The Mole People by Jennifer Toth

Jul 26, 11

An interesting book about the people who live underneath New York City, in tunnels and caverns under stations. I enjoyed it quite a lot, due principally to the amazing stories of how people live underground, sometimes for years. Also, the author seemed to really be taking her life in her hands while doing the research, and so deserves a lot of respect. The so-called 'mole people' turn out to be many and varied, not a homogenous group; they have many reasons for moving to the tunnels and for staying there. In the underground world, there are people living on their own and whole communities living in (for example) old subway stations closed down years ago. Each of them is interesting in their own way. However, I did find the book somewhat dated (it was written in 1992, and I’m reading it in 2010) and I felt that it was a book that had been stitched together from lots of newspaper articles (and perhaps it was). I also found the diversions to prehistoric tunnels a waste of time. But well worth a read.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mole People.