Jess's Reviews > Pirates!

Pirates! by Celia Rees

Jul 26, 11

Perhaps it is because I am an adult and this book was written for a younger audience, but I was not impressed by this book at all! When you read the back of the book, the plot seems exciting and fast paced. This is not the case when you actually begin to read the book. The plot moves slowly, and Celia Rees has a HEAVY hand with foreshadowing. She tells her reader every twist and turn before it happens. This completely ruined the book for me. I also couldn't develop an attachment to either of the main characters. Both Nancy and Minerva are poorly developed and the reason why Nancy and Minerva are such close friends is poorly explained. Nancy is fairly whiny and helpless for a pirate. It also seemed like Celia Rees forgot about the antagoist (the Brazilian) at points in the book. It seemed rather unbelievable to me that Nancy was able to have prophetic dreams about the Brazilian, and that he was able to track her movements through the rubies he gave her. If you don't require much from your literature, go ahead and read this mess. But if you enjoy well-written novels, I would recommend looking for a different book to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pirates!.