Lynn's Reviews > Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen

203227
Jul 26, 2011

I like memoirs, what can I say? This one was amusing though I was expecting hilarious. I was curious about the Mennonite business but there was not as much insider stuff about that as I had hoped. The author writes well, with humor and intelligence but, as other reviewers have noted the "My husband who left me for Bob, a guy he met on gay.com" was over-done, to the point of being irksome. Also, I would recommend that one have a good dictionary close by while reading this as the author is an academic. She has an extensive vocabulary and she's not afraid to use it. This made me question just who her target audience is - regular people who might be intrigued by the Mennonite background or by a husband who suddenly decides to leave a 15 year marriage because he's gay (It wasn't sudden and his sexuality is not the shocking surprise one might think) - or her scholarly peers who might be impressed by her knowledge of esoteric words and her self-deprecating humor? Hmmm. If it was the latter, surely they would have been turned off by the redundant nature of the Bob line. Just curious. Not a bad read, just not a great one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress.