Patti from Charlotte's Reviews > Certain Girls

Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner

F_50x66
Jul 26, 11

Though Jennifer Weiner in undoubtedly a fine writer, certainly in touch with the feelings of girls from preteen-age through older adult, I did not enjoy this tale as much as I had hoped. The problem for me was the manner in which she bounced back and forth from the main protagonist Cannie's voice to that of her young daughter, Joy. When chapters alternate from speaker to speaker, I find them to be quite interesting as a rule, but in this instance the 'voices' of the mother/daughter pair were so similar that I had to keep asking myself whose turn it was to 'tell' the story during that chapter.

That said, "Certain Girls" was an on-target tale of teenage- as well as middle aged mother- angst, that wove humor, senstitivity, bawdiness, and not just a litte shock-value to tell, ultimately, a good story of mother love. I did not read the book that preceded this, but feel that it might very well be my next vacation read... but I'll cross my fingers that I can differentiate its characters better than I did in this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Certain Girls.