Patti from Charlotte's Reviews > Outcasts United: A Refugee Team, an American Town

Outcasts United by Warren St. John

F_50x66
Jul 26, 11

Having lived in Clarkston, Georgia, the setting of the book, for several years in the early 1980's and having been a 'soccer mom' for the better part of the last ten years as well, this book 'spoke' to me on many natural levels. However, the depth of the story extended far, far beyond those simple parameters and to the many backstories of Luma Mufleh and the refugee families that she encountered during her own exodus from her native land. Never again will I sit on the sidelines of a soccer game in my collapsable chair under my umbrella, Diet Coke in hand, without thinking of the small army of lives touched by her hand on other soccer fields of the Southeast. The hardships that the Fugee teams encountered to play this "Beautiful Game" stretched much further than the simple creature comforts seemingly important to my suburban world. In documenting her story and those other stories of her journey, Warren St. John quoted her friend and assistant (an understatement!) Tracy Ediger aptly, "No one person can do everything, but we can all do something." This book is a challenge to do just that, from adjusting our attitudes to opening our eyes to the real games of the modern world.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outcasts United.