Julianna Helms's Reviews > Shattered Souls

**After much consideration, I bumped it up to a 4-star read! Yay!**

Quick review:
Cover: gorgeous.
First 3/4: wonderful
1/2 of the last 1/4: agonizing and pointless.
the other 1/2 of the last 1/4: YAYY!!! Character development! Finally!!

Overall: Good. Wasn't earth-shattering like I hoped it to be, but still, good. Better than your average paranormal read, at least! (Also, it totally reminded me of Shade. I mean, musician boyfriend (view spoiler)? Other guy she meets who knows what's going on? (view spoiler))

P.S. I found it funny that the main character's name is Lenzi, and the author's last name is Lindsey, LOL. But Lenzi is quite the pretty name...

Actual, full review: Original is here. [Note: due to copy-and-paste, links and (most) formatting has been lost.]

A touching story of love and discovery, Shattered Souls is a wonderfully simplistic novel bordering on escape and ambition.

I've been drooling over in love with the cover for months now, but I was so worried that this may be just a veneer to a story I won't be interested in--I've definitely been tricked before, and it's not a fun thing.

But this story certainly lived up to its cover, and it's far better than your average paranormal read. Mary Lindsey backs her tale of unusual ghosts with realistic characters and a startling plot. And what's funny is that, when I showed the cover to my brother, he said it looked like the rose petals were assembling to form Lenzi, but I thought it was Lenzi falling apart into rose petals. I love the way you can look at the cover either way, just like you can with the book--you can choose to see with the love, or see with the fight. It's simple and beautiful that way. Another funny musing I had was that the main character's name was Lenzi (such a pretty name!), and the author's last name is Lindsey. :)

Despite my enjoyment for this book, I did wish that it contained a few things...

1) Romantic Involvement: There is a bit of insta-love, and while I totally understood it, what with the centuries-long history between Lenzi and Alden and all, it still felt too rushed. I kept feeling like Lenzi only loved Alden because of his looks. At the end, though, there was one scene that convinced me of their genuine, true love, and it certainly calmed down an unsettled part of my thoughts.

2) Trimming: The first 3/4 of the book was gripping and engrossing, but somewhere near the end, a couple of things fell apart for me. Things became predictable. Characters made irrational, hasty decisions that felt out of their personalities. Plot points became a bit sporadic, and I just wasn't feeling it. But! The book overall was so interesting that it didn't affect me to the point of no-return.

I loved the sweet relationship between Lenzi and Alden, and I actually really liked Zak. I understood where he was coming from with his actions; despite his angry personality, he really was broken, and I just couldn't hate him because of that.

Overall, this is definitely a book to check out. While it wasn't as earth-shattering as I'd hoped, it's certainly worth a receipt at the bookstore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered Souls.

12/09/2011 page 14
4.0% "First 10 pages: got me hooked! I think I'm going to really enjoy this one!"
12/11/2011 page 250