Jen's Reviews > The Four Loves

The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis

Apr 02, 2008

Read in April, 2008

This is an interesting book. C. L. Lewis describes his four categories of love: affection, friendship, Eros (romantic love) and charity (love of God and selfless love of others). I like his analysis of each kind of love and how affection, friendship and Eros can all have destructive sides to them. I also appreciate that he points out that the first three kinds of love need charity (need God) in order to thrive. However, while I think separating the loves for the purpose of description is useful, I also think that it makes love a little too simplistic. I would have liked to see a final chapter where he talked more about how the four loves work together. For example, I have affection for my husband, a friendship with him, I love him romantically, and hopefully I am charatible toward him. I think Lewis starts to go there in the chapter on charity, but I would have liked more. I also found him sexist when he said things like women don't understand friendship totally. But overall, I got something out of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Four Loves.

02/08/2016 marked as: read