Trish's Reviews > Eon: Dragoneye Reborn

Eon by Alison Goodman

Jul 26, 2011

Read in July, 2011

I have been starving for a story... been a long time, but I still have no time to read. I checked out this audio CD while picking up the sequel in hardback for my daughter. She pretty much devoured the first one and I wanted to know why she couldn't wait for the second one. I figured, I would be poised to read the second right after she finished. Sure enough, I finished the 12 disc story today and she finished the over-600-page book yesterday.

I thought the reader did a good job. I liked the voices she did for each character, and there were a lot of men!

I liked the Chinese influence within a mystical fantasy world. I liked the different magic that existed that not even the characters in the story could decipher. The stuff I did figure out, though, lent an infuriating frustration that lasted for most of the book. It was held out for just a little too long. My reaction once the character caught up was not one of satisfying release. It was more like an angry, "Duh!" It takes a lot of patience to read through a book like this, especially since the culture is built so much on strict adherence to protocol. The author describes every kowtow. I wonder if I would have put the book down to go do something else if I had been turning the pages myself and not listening to the book while folding laundry.

The parts that pulled at my heartstrings the most were the changes in reaction once Eon comes out as Eona. It is amazing how much bigotry can skew a good person's behavior towards another. In my opinion, they (the political chess players) all deserved to have the rug pulled out from under them... putting all that weight on a poor, defenseless slave's back.

OK, not enough time to read, let alone finish this review. Later.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eon.