Magan (Rather Be Reading)'s Reviews > The Carrie Diaries

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: library, 2011-reads
Read on July 26, 2011

I should probably begin this review with a disclaimer... I am not a Sex and the City know-it-all. I was too young to be addicted to the show during its HBO hey-day. I have seen a lot of re-runs on TV, but not enough to easily piece together Carrie's whole life in NYC.

That being said, I chose this book as a light read for my vacation. I really like starting at the very beginning and enjoyed getting to know high-school-senior-Carrie. From what I've seen on tv, she appears to have most things figured out. This glimpse into high shool showed me her insecurities, her struggles with wanting to become a writer, and the unpopularity she dealt with on a day-to-day basis.

My main dislikes were her relationship with Sebastion - the hottie she dates for a good chunk of the book, her dishonesty with George, and the shallowness of her friendship with her so-called 10 year-best-friend, Lali. These things helped push her into becoming a stronger writer, but they annoyed the heck out of me. Must their always be a love triangle? I knew this book would not end with a perfect storybook romance with one guy, but I still hoped for some kind of strong resolution.

Realistic rating: 3.5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Carrie Diaries.