montana's Reviews > Wizard of the Crow

Wizard of the Crow by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o

Aug 09, 07

Recommended for: satire lovers with interest in post colonial africa
Read in July, 2007

I loved this book, though I gained a pound and a half from carrying it with me everywhere for a spell. Ngugi critically focuses on the black consciousness in a ficitional African post-colonial state, and white people only appear as greedy business suits from the Global Bank now and then, so the satire doesn't extend to others floating around cosmo. African cities, the young and oportunistic world traveler, for example... a la EW's Black Mischeif. "The Ruler," rather is central and rages against the fleeting friendship of the West, after all he had done a decade ago slaughtering his communist citizens... all the while batting around his ministers with their enlarged State senses and political ambitions like field mice. My favorite scene was when wealthy businessman Tarjika and his good wife Vinjinia contract white-ache, which includes much face scratching and inability to verablize the desire to become white, and the Wizard of the Crow leads them through an exercise to become white... an ex-colonialist Bristish couple searching through trash, headed for an old folks home, and dreaming of the good ol' days. And Black is beautiful they declare. It's funny! And the leader for the Movement of the People is a woman and it seems in real ways this attests to the roles that Kenyan women played in the activism of Ngugi's pre and post-exile days.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard of the Crow.