Kathy Jackson's Reviews > Duma Key

Duma Key by Stephen King

Nov 03, 11

Recommended for: Stephen King Fans
Read from October 28 to November 03, 2011 — I own a copy

The book is set down around Sarasota so that part kept me smiling. I love the way King can describe something so completely that it comes to life in my imagination. His descriptions and attention to detail are flawless. He keeps the story building except for a bit in the middle when it becomes a tad bit bogged down in details that didn't seem all that important. The book was 517 pages long and could have easily had 100 pages cut out without taking away from the story.

Perce was an evil bitch and while I'm not quite sure how she came to be, I do understand that she was from hell. Her ship came to take away souls and hope to the living. She would grant a gift of art to someone only to lure them into her grasp before turning the craft into something terrifyingly evil. Her first victim in the story is a little girl which I find a bit unforgivable, even for an evil entity. The girl lives and is the elderly lady in the book later but her losses are more severe than anyone should have to pay.

In modern day times, Edgar, Wireman and Jack are the trio whose job it is to find Perce and send her back to a watery grave. It takes a long time to get to the conclusion which seems to wrap up rather quickly but still was good. Along the way, some of the characters lost are hurt my sense of propriety but it is King so not much you can do about that.

In all I give the book a B+ - it was A material until it got bogged down halfway through as it took all my willpower to keep reading it. It was worth wading through though and the ending was decent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duma Key.

10/30/2011 page 65
11.0% "Only 515 pages in the book." 1 comment
11/02/2011 page 523
86.0% "I'd like to say the review is going to be positive but I wouldn't want to lie. :-("
show 1 hidden update…