Kwoomac's Reviews > Maisie Dobbs

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

2076898
Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: brit-lit, historical-fiction, mystery, private-eye, reviewed
Read in July, 2011

Maisie Dobbs is a young woman in post-WWI England who has opened a detective agency. The story begins with her meeting with a new client, who wants to know if his wife is having an affair. This is where Maisie is a little different from your average detective. Before taking on the case, she requires the husband to make a commitment to his wife and marriage, regardless of Maisie's findings. Maisie has an ethical commitment to those she investigates. This is an interesting twist in the usual detective story.

As this is the first in a series, much time is spent giving Maisie's back story. It's time well-spent as the story is interesting and well-written.

The author does a really nice job of building up to the resolution of the story-line which begins after Maisie resolves the infidelity case and picks up after we read Maisie's own story. I enjoyed the book and was looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Unfortunately, when I read the title of the next book, Birds of a Feather, I realized I have already read #2 and of course remember nothing about it. Do I now re-read this or can I skip it ? Some authors you have to read in order, others it's not necessary. Literary dilemma !
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maisie Dobbs.