Maysha's Reviews > Naked Empire

Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind

Aug 26, 11

liked it

As one can expect from Mr. Goodkind, this book was very well written. The narration was smooth, the grammar was impeccable, and it had all the parts expected of a good story: complex characters, plot development, an abundance of conflict, and a sufficient resolution.

That being said, it took me longer to read this book than it did to read the first seven of the series put together. For some reason, I didn't find this novel as engaging as the ones preceding it. Maybe I grew tired of the stasis in the state of the characters' situations—Zedd is incapacitated in some form or another, Kahlan is in a position in which her powers are useless but still she "protects" Richard, and Richard is either in pain, dying, being held captive or manipulated (or all of the above) and still unsure of the extent of his abilities. Maybe I had trouble powering through the increasing preachiness of Richard's prose. Maybe the torturing of children was too much. Maybe Jim Butcher had a new book out and then the Hunger Games captured my attention. Whatever the case, this book was good, but I thought it would be better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked Empire.