Steven's Reviews > Cold Sassy Tree

Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns

2206131
Jul 26, 11

Fantastic characters and a good plot. I loved the setting, the old South, the gossipy small town and the funny, quircky, but very believable people. This is an excellent picture of life at the turn of the century, including the advent of the automobile, electric lights and indoor plumbing. It's also an interesting coming-of-age tale told by a 14-year-old boy.

This book is excellent. I was just a little surprised by the dark turn it takes toward the end. Primarily because my kids had enjoyed listening to so much of it in the car (an audio book), but as the story progressed I found myself unwilling to let them listen to the last few chapters.

That criticism is hardly relevant for most adult readers--this book is not marketed for kids, and it's actually quite tame. It's no "Beloved," and hardly even a "Sula" or "the Color Purple." It's a great southern tale in a context that is vividly pictured, vividly alive. But the book started out in Mayberry and began to drift elsewhere toward the end. The result is not unrealistic. Maybe that's even the point of a coming-of-age tale, or an initiation-maturation plot: the hero does lose some innocence, perhaps, seeing things he'd not known before.

Anyway, GREAT BOOK.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Sassy Tree.

message 1: by Kw (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kw I loved this above most others I've reviewed. So sad that she died before completing the sequel. I thought the prose was wonderful.