Andre Higgins's Reviews > Island

Island by Richard Laymon

Jul 30, 11

Read in January, 2010

I really enjoyed this book. I couldn't put it down for very long, it's a real page turner. This is my first Richard Laymon book and I'm anxious to read more from him (I've already bought The travelling vampire show and will read that next). Apart for a few little quirks this was a very nice thriller. I do get annoyed at small details in books though, like in this one when one character points out that "chimps have tails"..... well no actually, chimps do not have tails!
And a lot of times the reactions of the characters are very unrealistic. I have a hard time believing that a woman who has been abused physically, mentally and sexually as badly as were the ones in this book could become so quickly aroused by the "hero" of the saga. I would think that these women would be scarred for the rest of their lives, yet they seem quite cheery at times. That kind of bugged me a bit. But that aside, it still was a very entertaining book. The perspective view from a very horny 18 year old young male adult is pretty accurate although sometimes slightly exaggerated ..... I remember when I was 18 and I was very horny like all other boys I knew..... but I would definitely never get a hard on at horrific scenes like Rupert would. So Rupert is one pretty sick dude..... as you will find out at the absolute end of the book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island.