Esther's Reviews > Until I Find You

Until I Find You by John Irving

Sep 26, 13

bookshelves: rating, own-a-copy
Read in September, 2013

Jack Burns is your famous actor, good-looking, successful, demanded, with a seemingly perfect life. But Jack has a story, which is shaped by a dominant and selfish mother, by older girls and women of all ages and social classes, harm has come his way in form of abuse, revenge and lies.
Jack eventually sees a psychiatrist and tells her the story of his life in chronological order. This is also how his story is presented to the reader – but not everything really was just how it seemed to Jack when he was the pretty, innocent 4-year-old boy travelling through Europe with his mother, fully depending on her account of events.

A melancholic and sometimes sad story about the losses we endure, the consequences of broken hearts and torn-apart families, of impossible love affairs – but as much a heart-warming tale of friendship against all odds, of reconciliation even late, of family bonds where blood proves to be stronger than water, and maybe with all of this, towards forgiveness.

A smartly constructed story, a male character as weak as we know him from most of Irving’s books, but with such a deeply rooted reason that his weakness becomes a very likeable feature, a handful (or more) of Irving’s recurring elements which make this book a very typical but still surprising and most entertaining Irving story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Until I Find You.

09/12/2013 marked as: currently-reading