H Wesselius's Reviews > The End of Poverty

The End of Poverty by Jeffrey D. Sachs

U_50x66
Jul 26, 11

I was more impressed by this book than I thought I would be. My distaste for Jeffery Sachs stems from his intervention in Eastern Europe specifically Poland where I thought his "shock therapy" was unnecessary and determintal to people as much as it was good for macroeconomic statistics. His blase dismissal of the middle age workforce he acknowledged was disrupted and hurt by his policies did little to impress me. The first part of the book recounts his Polish and other experiences and are far more interesting than the second part where he lays out in an alphabet soup of agencies, reports and goals that he thinks may be helpful. Its apparent that he has learned from his experience and is less market inclined thah he was initially. However, he still fails to credit non-market policies when he should. India's jump into the IT world as opposed to the traditional sweatshop labour of most Third World countries stems from Nehru's education policies. Nehru fails to recieve proper credit and is dismissed as the License Raj for his fondness of bureacracy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Poverty.