Ron Arden's Reviews > Class Dis-Mythed

Class Dis-Mythed by Robert Lynn Asprin

M 50x66
Jul 26, 2011

If you have never read a MYTH book, you are in for a treat, but I wouldn't start with this one. This story starts after MYTH, Inc. has dissolved and Skeeve (actually The Great Skeeve) is on a sabbatical. For those of you familiar with Asprin's world of insanity, this is a good one.

Skeeve is off studying on Klahd and Aahz, his former partner, sees an opportunity to make a buck. Six young people of various species and magical abilities want to get some practical experience in magic (or magikal arts) from Skeeve. Skeeve agrees to take them on and it turns into whining teens meets Harry Potter (that might be redundant). Skeeve always has a low opinion of his abilities, but he teaches the kids quite a bit of practical thinking and magic.

Once the group of graduates leaves the 6 week course, they wind up on a game show. Apparently that was the reason they wanted the practical training. Skeeve is at first pissed, but then rallies round. I thought this bit was going to be like a version of American Idol or one of those crazy reality shows, but I was pleasantly surprised. Things turn out well for most of the beings involved and I just loved it.

This is a great summer read. Now I have to catch up some more of the MYTH books that I never read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Class Dis-Mythed.