Nicole's Reviews > Girl, Interrupted

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

Jul 26, 2011

bookshelves: own
Read in July, 2011

** spoiler alert ** There were things about this book that I liked, and some things that I didn't. I probably would have rated it 3.5 stars instead of 4 if possible, but I decided to rate on the high end.

I liked that it was an easy read. I read it in two sittings. Definitely easy to fly right through.

I just felt that it was very vague. I wanted more detail. I wanted to know more about her family. I wanted to know more about what brought her to this point in her life.

I suppose it kind of resolves itself in the end though. She goes back and reads her diagnosis after 25 years and questions certain things. Borderline personality disorder, or just being a teenager? And throughout her whole life, she has questioned whether or not she's actually "crazy." And obviously the doctor who "suggested" that she hospitalize herself for her condition didn't spend enough time with her to make a fair judgment, which is what makes me feel okay about the fact that there's so much lacking as far as detail goes.

Perhaps she doesn't feel the need to go into detail about her therapy sessions, her emotions, how she overcame her illness to live a normal life, etc. because there wasn't as big of a problem as it was made out to be. Not to say that she doesn't have a mental illness, but maybe a year and half in the "loony bin" was jumping the gun a bit.

I liked the interaction between the characters, the patients and the hospital staff. The characters were likable. I wanted to know more about them though, and feel more for them, and I just didn't. Obviously this book wasn't meant to be an emotional one, and that's okay.

I liked the book, it may even be one that I would read again. I just think it could have been better than it was.

To simplify it, I really liked what was there, I just really wish there was more. It's a short book as it is, so adding 10-20 pages to elaborate on some things wouldn't have hurt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Interrupted.