Susan's Reviews > Group: Six People in Search of a Life

Jul 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011
Read in July, 2011

Though this isn't a self-help book, I did take away a tidbit of help. In the book, the psychiatrist running the group sessions talks about an idea called "serious fun". In essence, it's the idea that what you do in life, either as your career or as a hobby, you should consider "serious fun". You may not make any money off of it, but you should feel fulfilled by doing it. For the people in this group who weren't sure what "serious fun" entailed, he suggested looking towards your childhood for clues. If you enjoyed something in childhood more than most other things, that something you enjoyed should be something you should do in adulthood as well, or a modified version.

For instance, as a child, I loved the outdoors, reading, riding my bike, and paint by numbers. It turns out, the things that I find hugely enjoyable today are the solo backcountry camping, reading, riding my bike, and needlepoint.

Though the narrative is somewhat dated, since it was written back in 1999, this is still worth reading. The author of the book also writes for Esquire and GQ, so if you're not a fan of flowery descriptions and overlong narratives written in the Esquire/GQ style, this might not be the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Group.