Abbie's Reviews > The Lady's Maid

The Lady's Maid by Susan Page Davis

May 03, 12

bookshelves: 2011, western-romance, christian-historical-fiction, netgalley-read, blog-reviewed
Read in November, 2011

3.5

Elise is a lady’s maid to Lady Anne. Elise is 39 years old and knows her chance of marrying is slipping away but she loves her employer like family and gladly serves her. Lady Anne’s father has died and there is only one known male family member to take the title. But he lives in America. Soon Lady Anne and Elise head to America to see if they can find Anne’s uncle. When they get a lead that he took the Oregon trail out west they plan to join up even though they have no idea what they are getting into.

Eb has been a scout for the Oregon trail for a while and he does not want these lady’s to come but soon finds himself interested in Elise and worried about the well being of both ladies. Will love be at the end of the trail?

This book was okay. What I liked about the book was the history. I have never read any romance novels dealing with the Oregon trail so it was very informative. 4-6 months on a wagon train I can’t imagine! I thought the author did a good job with that part of the story. The characters where okay. After reading the whole book I did not have a real like or dislike for any of them. The romance between Eb and Elisa was so so. I also felt the story dragged on at times. The mystery part of the story was okay but lacked the suspense to really give it life.

I have read one other book by this author and I liked this one a little better. This is the first book of the series and I might read the 2nd one if time allows. The story of traveling the Oregon trail is what gives this book the extra half star in my rating I really enjoyed the history lesson. The author does such a good job of detailing the travels if she would have developed the characters just a little more this would have been a great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady's Maid.