Anne Osterlund's Reviews > The River Between Us

The River Between Us by Richard Peck

Jul 26, 11

Tilly lives on the Devil’s Backbone, Illinois, at the start of the Civil War, where three quarters of her neighbors are Secesh. And her brother isn’t. Tilly, her mother, and especially Tilly’s future-seeing sister, Cass, know it’s only a matter of time before Noah joins the war.

But no one could have predicted Delphine—the strange awe-inspiring girl who arrives from New Orleans. In her dresses. With shoes she wears in the summer. And gloves.

When Mama offers Delphine a place to stay until safe travel can again be obtained to New Orleans, everyone’s view of the future is sure to change.

I liked the author’s dance between the future, the past, and characters who walk between both. And of course the major revelations at the end!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The River Between Us.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Makay (new)

Makay  Manis Meaning to get to this one! How is it?

Anne Osterlund It's OK. I HIGHLY recommend Richard Peck's Blossom Culp series: The Ghost Belonged to Me, Ghosts I Have Been, The Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp, and Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death--four of my all time favorites!

message 3: by Marilyn (new) - added it

Marilyn I read the ghost belonged to me because it was made (loosely) into a Disney movie, the child of glass. Didn't know it was part of a series!!