D.T.'s Reviews > The Moses Expedition

The Moses Expedition by Juan Gomez-Jurado

Aug 09, 11

Read from July 26 to August 09, 2011

The Moses Expedition is about, well, an expedition to find the arc of the covenant. There are also Nazis and rich businessmen involved. I think I've heard about that somewhere before ;) However similar it seems to Indiana Jones, Juan Gomez-Jurado's take on this topic is fresh and different from the all action Indie.

The plot phenomenally weaves together multiple competing interests in this "treasure" from the Vatican, businesses, Mossad, Al Qaeda. There are a number of characters but each one, in my opinion, aside from the the "ringleader" of Al Qaeda were well developed. The prose is very good and engrossing. The author changes time and place throughout the book, which I felt worked well and gave a "journalistic" feel to the book. There was a great thread of tension through the entire book, and it really ramped up toward the end, keeping me flipping the pages. It definitely falls in the category of "can't put down" books.

I didn't really understand the priest's motives in the book. I found this confusing, but it may be more a case of me not understanding than it not being covered in the story. There were a few explanations, but it just didn't make sense to me. Maybe if I had read God's spy (which I am going to - I liked the book enough to read his other works) it would make more sense. The other issue I think has more to do with the translation - I thought some of the dialogue didn't quite flow and sounded wooden. Particularly some of the American speakers. I would like to say that is how it is with translated books but the Millennium Trilogy seemed smooth to me.

I think any fan of Dan Brown, Steve Berry, James Rollins would LOVE this novel. I am a fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moses Expedition.