Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > The Sense of an Ending

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: booker-winners-and-listed, booker-longlist-2011, location-uk, read2011
Read on October 14, 2011

The Sense of an Ending is incredibly short, 150 pages, divided into two sections. The first part tells the story of Tony in his late childhood and into early adulthood. He has a close group of three other friends, and the narrator (also Tony) is constantly reflecting on the nature of time, and on how relationships change. In my vague intentions, I am not being very useful in telling you what the book is about, but saying too much would give it away.

The second part is no longer looking back but Tony has reached late adulthood, where he is friends with his ex-wife and volunteers at a care facility, and had thought the interesting part of his life had already passed by. His past comes back to his present and he has to figure it all out.

This was the last book from the Booker shortlist that I could access in this country. You can see my own picks here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sense of an Ending.