Daniel Parsons's Reviews > Rescue

Rescue by Anita Shreve

Jul 26, 11

My first Anita Shreve book, which I picked up in a Wal Mart in the middle of nowhere and only because there was nothing else that caught my attention, and it wont be my last. The adage of never trusting a book by its cover rings true here; the pastel colours and pseudo-enigmatic photo badly representing the taught, addictive and emotive story held within. The characters of Paul Webster, his doomed romance with the almost (crucial, that) unlikeable Sheila and their daughter Rowan are recognisable human beings. Though the book is told from Webster's POV Sheila and Rowan are also layered characters and the narrative, which jumps half-way through, is utterly compelling. Though there are perhaps a couple too many coincidences that veer it a little too close to contrivance, Rescue remains a thought provoking, intelligent and compulsive book with a hopeful, unsentimental conclusion (which I believe is unusual for a Shreve novel since the author states in a Q & A that most of her books finish on a downer or shock twist). I will be back for more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rescue.