Sarah 's Reviews > Farmer Boy

bookshelves: children-s, read-in-2011, read-aloud
Read from July 25 to 31, 2011

** spoiler alert **
Owen's review: A hundred stars

It's about Almanzo Wilder, who is Laura Ingalls Wilder's husband. It is about his boyhood. He has a big brother named Royal, a big sister whose name is Eliza Jane, and a big sister whose name is Alice. He wants a colt more than anything. He has a suckling pig named Lucy, who he bought with a half dollar. He has a cousin named Frank, and Frank's father gives him a nickel whenever he asks for one. Almanzo gets a half dollar because he hardly ever asks for one. He gets $200. He gets the $200 from Mr. Thompson's pocketbook that they found in the snow. Mr. Thompson sold some land and put all that money in his pocketbook, and Almanzo gave him a pocketbook and he was forced to give away $200. [editor's note: Mr. Thompson implied that Almanzo was a thief and offered him a nickel for returning his money ($1500!). The other man who witnessed this conversation basically bullied Mr. Thompson into giving Almanzo $200 instead.]

My favorite part of the book was the tin peddler. He sold tinware, and he was a jolly man. He traded tinware for homemade rags. He made little tin toys that he painted. Some of my other favorite parts were the threshing and school, and I liked when the big boys were thrashed with a blacksnake ox whip fifteen feet long that had enough iron in its handle to kill an ox. Some more of my favorite parts were butchering time, sheep shearing, wood hauling, training young cattle, getting the $200, buying his suckling pig Lucy with his half dollar, and his cousin Frank was wrong about not getting a nickel when he asked to get one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farmer Boy.