Jinglebat's Reviews > Die Laughing

Die Laughing by Louis K. Lowy

Aug 09, 11

Read from July 26 to August 09, 2011 — I own a copy

What's worse that having a mobster out to kill you on the eve of your big break? How about space aliens trying to take over the world? What's even worse than that? The aliens and the mobster have now joined up and have made you part of their plan!
That is the dilemma faced by stand-up comedian Sam E. Lakeside in Louis Lowy's Die Laughing.

Take the things that make a B movie fun: Space Aliens, mobsters, a plot for world domination involving celebrity impersonations, now add character development, wit and good writing. Set it all in the 1950's and you got I was going to say a really good first novel, but it's just a really good novel period.

The book is very funny, often times dark sometimes both at the same time. It is also action packed and unpredictable, which will keep you glued to every page so you can see what's next. The alien's plan is brilliantly insane and their reason for it even more so. I won't spoil it for you, just go read it!

One thing that struck me about this Die Laughing is one day I found myself talking to someone and telling them about that movie was it that had that spaceship with the egg-shaped viewer/transporter thingie" and then realized I was thinking about the book. I always find it a sign of a well written novel when I can picture the scenes so clearly detailed in my mind that I forget I've never actually seen them.

A funny, dark book that is truly enjoyable, I can't wait till they make this into a movie so I can then complain how the book was so much better!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die Laughing.