Tim Greaton's Reviews > Joust

Joust by Mercedes Lackey

Oct 26, 11

Read in July, 2011

An enchanting and gradually building tale…

Mercedes Lackey is more of a hit than miss author, and though she does slow down she doesn't disappoint with this first book in "The Dragon Jousters" series.

Having lost his entire family to Tian marauders, who killed his father and sold the other members of his family as slaves, Vetch is forced into servitude under Khefti, a lecherous and cruel Tian merchant. Only a tiny boy, barely larger than a toddler, Vetch silently curses Khefti but endures his severe treatment until a jouster stops at the farm for water and, while there, claims Vetch as his dragon boy.

Though slow to brew, this story begins to take on intriguing depth as we learn Vetch is as hardworking and determined as he is bright. We also learn that Tian dragon boys do not befriend serfs, but they are soon forced to acknowledge Vetch with a grudging respect as he performs all his duties as well and usually better than anyone else. We soon also realize that Ari is no ordinary jouster. Even-tempered and thoughtful, he seems to choose a quiet lifestyle in comparison to his aggressive counterparts. He also has a special relationship, a friendship actually, with his dragon Kachet, and that friendship grows into something more when Vetch is allowed into their close circle.

I'm not going to say this book will have you at the edge of your seat, but you will definitely be cheering as Vetch comes up with and begins to carry out a wild scheme that may change everything.

An obvious setup for larger adventures, this is a solid book that will leave you feeling as though you have visited this fantasy world and have known these people. Nicely done.

Reviewed by "Maine's Other Author"(TM) Tim Greaton

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Joust.