Alicia Krauchuk Fenton's Reviews > The Book of Mormon

The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.

Jun 19, 07

Recommended for: EVERYONE!!!

Without sounding sacreligious, I am profoundly grateful for this book. It's a book about answers to personal challenges. It's a book about how to live your life. It's a book about two civilizations and their relationship with a loving Father in Heaven.
There really isn't a rating you could give something so profound and precious. And to this, I apologize.
It is the BEST book I have ever read. This is at the top of my favorite list!!! For anyone who hasn't read this yet, and would like a free copy, I'd be glad to send you one! :-) It's worth your time. Just be prepared to have your life changed...for the better!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Mormon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Derrick You should try the Bible sometime.

Alicia Krauchuk Fenton Hi Derrick,
You're right, Derrick.
The Bible is the word of God, as long as it's translated correctly.
I will add that to my favorites list.
One of my favorite verses in the bible comes from Isaiah 41:10. It always reminds me that God is there to help us when we are discouraged or afraid. He will strengthen us.
I have a great website for you: http://mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/
Thank you for the message. Sometimes as a mom of 4 I forget things. I will be sure to add the Bible to my favorite list right now!
Gratefully,
Alicia

Derrick I'd love to check your website but I've read the book of mormon, and unfortunately, I do not believe a single word of it nor it's founder Joseph Smith. The way I came to this conclusion is by simply researching how the book came to be authored...the minute seer stones were used to translate, I realized that this was incompatible with the Bible (which would have considered the use of seer devices as sorcery) and therefore, went against everything that God bestowed to both Jews and Christians.

Couldn't get past the whole "stones used to translate" thing...because you can't ignore it and there is documented proof that they were used. Scrying truth isn't how God works period...and it never will be. Gods revelation comes to prophets without use of objects of power...otherwise Jesus would have been walking around scrying things too.
Reference:

So, stick with the Bible and you can't go wrong!

Alicia Krauchuk Fenton Hi again, Derrick,
Before I answer some VERY good questions that you have, I have one for you...
Out of all the comments made on the Book of Mormon, why did you choose to comment on mine?
With curiosity,
Alicia

Derrick The comment tone...other reviews aren't near as descriptive and have the tone of someone describing paint drying.

Alicia Krauchuk Fenton How can you say that about paint drying...a nice Sherwin-Williams eggshell Sensational Sand #6094 is nothing less than a life changing experience!

Another question: What circumstance/question/thought/other led you to pick up the Book of Mormon and read it in the first place?

Derrick I was a religion major...it was something I did :) I read anything having to do with the subject I studied.

Alicia Krauchuk Fenton Did you still want me to answer to message #3?

Derrick Well, there's really no point to answering it...it's documented fact during the day in which the plates were translated that use of scrying stones was "the thing" that people of the times were doing. So I don't see anyone claiming Joseph Smith didn't use stones to translate them. That being the case, all the examples of prophetic revelations being made to people in the thousands of years past involved no scrying stones...in fact, you might know a scrying stone as it's other name...crystal ball. Use of these devices or following of 'scripture' attained from use of these devices is detestable to God...no good can come of it: Rev 21:8 shows what will become of those following or practicing these things.

Keeping this in mind, there's really nothing you can say that will change the documented facts around in this instance. You can't using sorcery/crystal balls/scrying stones/magic to attain scripture; they don't mix...and there is no one in their right mind that would say Joseph Smith didn't make use of scrying stones to translate the plates.

Logic tells us that this book, even if nice and inspiring in parts, is not in line with what Jesus taught...nor is it in line with how God led Israel.

Alicia Krauchuk Fenton I'd love to share with you more information, but it's up to you.

Alicia Krauchuk Fenton Hi Dannelle,
You can order a free copy at www.mormon.org.
There is a link to a free book on the main page.
Let me know what you think of it after you read.
:-)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book! Joseph Smith said that the Book of Mormon is the most correct of any book on the earth and is the keystone of our religion (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). If you haven't read it, then you should read it and then ask any questions you have to the missionaries. You can request a free copy at http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/b...

and you can contact the missionaries at

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 12, 2010 12:04PM) (new)

If you haven't read it, then you really should! You can look it up, and read it online at
as well, but still I would recommend, (and so have the prophets) to have your own copy, and read from it every night.

message 14: by Mcgyver5 (new)

Mcgyver5 why are there so many mormons on this site? is it some kind of online missionary target?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

No we just like getting together and discussing the scriptures and many other things. However if people want to know about the church or anything else like that, then we don't mind sharing.

Tessa Mcgyver5 wrote: "why are there so many mormons on this site? is it some kind of online missionary target?"

With a worldwide membership of over 13 million, you're going to run into a few of us online. There are many Mormons on this site, but there are many non-Mormons as well. Goodreads is just a big community of people who love discussing what they read and for many people on the site that includes the Book of Mormon.

message 17: by Mcgyver5 (new)

Mcgyver5 "running into a few of us online" is different than having this book pressed into my face at every turn by people mindlessly voting it onto every conceivable list as a testament to their faith.

and I quote:

Elder Ballard of the LDS Church, talking to a group of graduates at BYU-Hawaii, encouraged us to use the media, specifically blogs, to teach of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I'd like all who read this post to know that this is a book that has changed my life. It is a book that can change anyone's life if read with an open heart and mind. It testifies of Jesus Christ, our atoning Savior. It was translated by Joseph Smith Jr., who was a prophet of God. I've read this book many times and I learn something new every time. I spent a year and a half in Brazil teaching from and about this book. I use this book to help raise my children in righteousness. "Abiding by it's principles will get you nearer to God than any other book." I know that this is true, for it has worked in my life. I'd encourage all who read this comment to also read this book.

via http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Tessa She kind of stated Elder Ballard's counsel out of context. The full article says something to the point of 'for years we have allowed those outside of our faith to dominate the discussion about Mormonsism, allowing them to define our beliefs and doctrines.' His point was that Mormons need to join the discussion in explaining who we are instead of leaving it for others.

The Book of Mormon is on a lot of lists, both positive and negative, but then so are many other books. I think it's just a natural side effect having a place like this where we can all share our opinions openly.

message 19: by Mcgyver5 (new)

Mcgyver5 you are correct, now that I look. It is on positive and negative lists. forgive my complaining. I was up too late last night.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

That's okay. I stay up later than I should too.

PureMedia Ebook Reader We love this book too!