Linda's Reviews > City of Shadows

City of Shadows by Ariana Franklin

Jul 26, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in July, 2011

Although I love historical fiction, most of the time I am drawn to stories set in Elizabethan or Victorian England. This book, set in post WWI, preWWII Germany, is not a time or place that usually holds any interest for me. However, because I had enjoyed the author's earlier novel, Mistress of the Art of Death, I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad I did. The story is a new twist on the brutal killing of the Romanov family in Russia, and the persistent rumors that one of the young princesses, Anastasia, somehow managed to escape the massacre and flee to safety. A young woman, bearing a striking resemblance to Anastasia, turned up in a Berlin mental hospital claiming to be the Romanov heir, and many people in Europe and America believed her, and championed her cause. This is a "what-if" version of that story, made very compelling by the believable, complex, three dimensional characters drawn by Franklin. There is a mystery within a mystery here, along with page turning suspense and characters that make you wish you sit and have a drink with them. Highly recommend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Shadows.