Nikki Golden's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Sep 02, 11

Read in September, 2011

I didn't realize when I picked this up, that it was a young adult book, so it's writing is geared to that age group. This book is about a teen-age girl's suicide and the reasons that led up to her taking that step. What I didn't like about the book was the last reason--I felt that it was crammed in there to make sure someone with authority felt some complicity to her suicide. What I did like about it was that it shows how a series of events--especially in the life of a teen--can lead someone to feel like an outside, or foolish, or disgusted with themselves. I also though the storytelling mechanism was clever.

Suicide is a hard topic to broach with that age group, and yet, it's probably the age group that needs to be looked after most when it comes to suicide because I'm sure that the though enters every teens mind at least at some point during puberty. I think this is a good book to give to any teens in your life so they realize they're not alone in what they're feeling and that talking to *anyone* is more helpful than going it alone.