April's Reviews > Teachers Have It Easy: The Big Sacrifices And Small Salaries Of America's Teachers

Teachers Have It Easy by Daniel Moulthrop

Jul 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, nerd, school
Read in September, 2011

Just got this yesterday and am MEGA-EXCITED to read it!!

After reading:

It's not that the ideas given in the book are impractical or fantastical, but more that the book itself was published in 2005, when it was easier--or at least, people were more willing--to fund programs that would pay teachers, well, almost as much as they were worth.

There are a lot of good points that the book brings up about how public schools are losing its better teachers because of the lack of pay, and about how hard it is to support a family on a teacher's salary. I agree with all these points, vehemently and fervently.

However, since I live in a country facing a second recession, that has a huge unemployment rate and a government that--it seems like--actively hates public workers, I came away feeling more depressed than inspired.

That's not to say that I don't admire the school systems that the authors describe; I just wonder if an update would be as positive as the profiles that were written six short years ago.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teachers Have It Easy.

April 9/18 I feel like I will never finish this, ever.