Stacy's Reviews > Day After Night

Day After Night by Anita Diamant

Jul 26, 2011

This was a very, very good book. It explores the Holocaust from a viewpoint usually overlooked--the aftermath. The story takes place in a British detention center in Palestine in 1945. Jewish refugees from Europe have all fled to the British colony of Palestine to claim it as a homeland, a safe haven. However, they arrive and are immediately swept into a detention center vey reminiscent of the concentration camps--except with more food and real showers. But, the barbed wire, the military presence and the fear are all still there. The story is told from the point of view of four women--Tedi, Shayndel, Leonie & Zorah. Each of these women are very different with different stories, but they all are experiencing fear, shame, guilt and a sense of wanting to escape from their past. It is very interesting to see the difficulty of the Holocaust survivors trying to adjust to the world post WWII and post Nazi Germany. This is a story that is so rarely told, that it makes this book so very worth reading. My only complaint is that the book sometimes moves slow. But, I started it at 1pm today and finished it at 9:30...with breaks for meals. So, clearly it didn't move so slow that it didn't capture my attention. I would definitely recommend this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Day After Night.